Image Map

Thursday, April 11, 2013

School Library Month Shelf Challenge 2013 - Part One

I found The Busy Librarian  aka Matthew Winner's  blog and love it. I decided to join Matthew and other librarians in the SLM Shelf Challenge for 2013. Honestly, the hardest part was choosing one section to read. The kids are all the time asking me if I have read every book in the library. Of course I have to say no.  When I first became a librarian, I really tried to read every book. It's extremely hard. Usually I read at least the first one in the new series as they arrive in my library. I'm going to admit I don't get every one of the new books read. GASP! I have to put my family first. (I have been spotted at sporting events and practices with books in hand!) My library is not as large as some of the other librarian's that I follow. My entire book collection is around 8500. With that in mind, I decided to read W - Z. I like doing things backwards just to throw people off balance.

My first "find" was Martin Waddell's Can't You Sleep Little Bear?. Love his books. I frequently read his Farmer Duck to my Kindergarten. I'm going to have add this adorable story about a little bear who's afraid of the dark to my students.


I also found a copy of The Biggest Bear by Lynd Ward. It has a copyright date of 1952. It hasn't been checked for a long time. I can't find a last check out date on this one.  I remember this one from when I was a child. I guess it's time to weed this one. I may just take it home. Let me know what you think.



Next I "discovered" Hungry Hen by Richard Waring. Very cute little story about a hungry hen who eats and is being watched by a fox. Has a surprise ending. (Hint: Hen doesn't get eaten!)


The last of my stack included several of Rosemary Wells's books. I enjoy her McDuff books. McDuff's Wild Romp was one I didn't remember reading. It was as great as her others. If you haven't read a McDuff story, McDuff is a Westie (West Highland White Terrier). In this adventure McDuffy has a run in with a troublesome cat! Aren't they all? Terrific find!



I'm all excited about what I'm going to find next. I'm going to tuck a handful of books into my bag for the baseball game this afternoon. I can read between innings. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...