Image Map

Friday, April 19, 2013

Poetry and Puppets

My students love puppets! I purchased a few puppets back in the fall to put in a writing center. With the new Common Core Standards, which my district is implementing, I'm continually looking for ways to get my kiddies to write during library class. This last nine weeks, the students are writing puppet skits to preform for the K - 2 students. (I'll have to post pictures of those performances!)  To increase an interest in poetry, I read some poetry in several of my classes. It went over ok, but I wanted to kick it up a notch. I pulled out my copy of You Read to Me and I'll Read to You: Very Short Mother Goose Tales to Read Together by Mary Ann Hoberman. I have 3 of Ms. Hoberman's books and love 'em.

 
 
My students took turns reading and preforming the passages to their class. They had a blast! It's a start. Students are only going to develop a love for poetry if they are exposed to it with fun and engaging experiences.


 
And what did I hear as the left for the weekend? "Mrs. Brown, can I read some more from your book?" I love it that they left the library begging for more. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...