Image Map

Monday, August 26, 2013

What Was I Thinking? #IMWAYR for August 26

"It's Monday! What are you reading?" hosted by Teach Mentor Texts.



I did it again. I read a book that was NOT book one in the series. I hate it when I do that. Now I'm going to drive myself crazy until I find book one and of course order the next couple in the series. Which series? I'm so glad you asked. This weekend I read book 2 of the Dreamhouse Kings series, Watcher in the Woods by Robert Liparulo.


It gets a 5 stars for my middle schoolers. It's a great little horror read. Yes, I said horror. Something I normally would never read. It's a really great "freaky creepy"! Just the right mix of scary, mystery and lite on the gross factor. It does mention mutilations  so for your younger readers, be wary.

Basically the King family move into a house where the dad lived as a youngster. The house is home to a time portal.  (Mom is snatched by a time traveler in the first book.. AWWWW I've got to read the first one!) In this book the Dad and kids try to figure out how the portal works and take a couple trips to the past looking for their mother.  I don't want to give away too much. It was REALLY good.

That's it. That is the only chapter book I read all week. I feel like such a bad librarian! I did read 2 Pete the Cat books. Picked them up at book fair. Do I need to say anything about Pete? Groovy!

 

Keep Reading! I will. I have a challenge to meet.



7 comments:

  1. Did you ever see the old movie The Watcher in the Woods? For years I only saw the first half and was completely freaked out.
    Then YEARS later I finally saw the ending and it was sort of lame.

    But I digress. Will have to check it out. Looked on Goodreads and I read the first one but not this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am so not a horror geek! I was scared by just reading "Christine" in high school. No way would I have watched anything remotely scary. I'm such a chicken. Ha

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love Pete the Cat. My kids tell me I sing wonderfully (and my teachers say I am brave for singing at all! hrm..). That first book looks CREEPY though...

    Stop by and check out The Monster Report

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book in my classroom library and haven't read it yet because I don't have the first. I shall have to remedy that. I know that my students love creepy horror stories and it is nice that this one would be appropriate for 8th grade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 8th graders will LOVE this one! I've got to track down the rest of them. I just hope the other 4 are as good.

      Delete
  4. Watcher in the Woods sounds scary and has a super creepy cover, but one that be eye catching to the right reader! :) And Pete is truly awesome. Have you listened to some of the accompanying songs? Once you hear them, you can only read the books in that cadence. So. Catchy.

    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! Found this one YouTube. Kids loved it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUubMSfIs-U

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...