Image Map

Monday, August 19, 2013

Reads of the Week! #IMWAYR for August 19

One of my goals this school year is to post regularly on "It's Monday! What are you reading?" hosted by Teach Mentor Texts.  So here goes:
One of my favorite things this summer was reading all the great book reviews/suggestions and getting my lists ready for purchasing books this fall. I found this series, Secret Agent Jack Stalwart by Elizabeth Singer Hunt, this spring and they had been in my stack to read all summer. Well, my summer is gone. My stack - at least it greatly decreased. I finally managed to read these three over the weekend. #12 Fight For The Frozen Land, #13 Hunt for the Yeti Skull and #14 The Mission To Find Max



 
For my students who have aspirations of being the next James Bond, this will be right up their alley. In a nut shell, Jack "Courage" Stalwart is a 9 year old spy. His older brother, Max, is also a secret spy who disappeared four months before Jack's adventures began. For whatever reason, I started reading book #12. (I'm guessing I had a student request these three titles! Now I'm probably going to get requests to order previous books) The series ends with book #14 The Mission to Find Max. My favorite thing about the books, other than the action/adventure theme which will definitely appeal to my boys, was the sprinkling of history and science facts found in the stories. I love the fact that my students will be reading fiction and could still learn something. Kind of like eating a Hersey's bar and biting into a delicious almond!

If you have young readers in your library (second - fifth graders), they'll love them.

Keep Reading!


3 comments:

  1. Looks like a series my 4th graders will love! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These books look fab. I first read this on my phone and it's tied to a different account and then I almost forgot to come back and comment. But I want these books! They look awesome! The kids would so enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked them.. I need to go give them the 4 or 5 stars they deserve!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...