Image Map

Monday, June 24, 2013

It's Monday and I'm reading .....What?

I have so many books to read it's hard to pick what to read next!  Oh, like I'm the only person with that problem. I read though my stack of picture books last week and honestly loved them all. The book about small game wasn't my favorite, but I got that for my little hunters... I have several of those. If I had to pick a couple stand outs, the first would be Twister by Darleen Bailey Beard, illustrated by Nancy Carpenter.


This is an awesome book about, well, a twister! It's definitely going in my stack for weather week in the spring. This one is beautifully written, "The monstrous howling shakes my chest and makes my insides shiver. Then, once again, it's silent." If you can't see the tornado from the wonderful wording, there are Ms. Carpenter's illustrations that are just perfect. This one is a keeper. LOVE IT!!!

I also recommend Wolf! by Becky Bloom, illustrated by Pascal Biet.


The hungry wolf visits the farm for some lunch but gets sidetracked when he sees the animals reading. (I soooo related to this one. I have missed, delayed, and even burnt supper over a book!) This one was just too cute. Wolf, of course, has to learn how to read. Can't be upstaged by a pig... Wolf! covers the whole process our kiddies go though when learning how to read. I can't wait to read this one for story time this fall...

Finally, if you don't have The Plot Chickens by Mary Jane and Herm Auch,  GO AND GET THIS ONE!!! Can't wait to do a short story unit with my darlings this fall and I'm so going to read them this book.

Henrietta, the hen, loves to read and decides to write her own story. This delightful tale steps readers though the writing process.  (Would be a wonderful addition to a unit on elements of a story.) After Henrietta finishes her book, she has a little trouble with the publishing... It's just adorable. Can you tell I had some serious book love with this one?

This week I'll be reading:

Picture books (Easy books):

Don't Squeal Unless It's a Big Deal by Jeanie Franz Ransom, illustrated by Jackie Urbanovic
Scaredy Squirrel Goes Camping by Melanie Watt
King Hugo's Huge Ego by Chris Van Dusen
Prairie Chicken Little by Jackie Mims Hopkins, illustrated by Henry Cole
The Boy Who Loved Words by Roni Schotter, illustrated by Giselle Potter
Fortunately, Unfortunately by Michael Foreman
Goldie Socks and the Three Libearians by Jackie Mims Hopkins, illustrated by John Manders
What Are You So Grumpy About? by Tom Lichtenheld
Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson, illustrated by Jane Chapman
Tell the Truth, B.B. Wolf by Judy Sierra, illustrated by Jotto Seibold
Ordinary Mary's Extraordinary Deed, by Emily Pearson, illustrated by Fumi Kosaka
Interrupting Chicken by David Ezra Stein
Just Ducks! by Nicola Davies

Non-fiction books

A Foot in the Mouth by Paul Janeczko, illustrated by Chris Raschka
Monet Paints a Day by Julie Danneberg, illustrated by Caitlin Heimerl
Galaxies, Galaxies! by Gail Gibbons
Farming by Gail Gibbons
Owl Babies by Martin Waddell illustrated by Patrick Benson

Keep Reading! (Summer vacation will be over before we realize.....)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...