Image Map

Friday, June 7, 2013

Critter Corner at Story Time!

This week I started my summer reading program for the kids. I open the library on Wednesday's from 10 - 2. At 10 we read, then check out books. Each week I have a theme for story time. This week the stories were all animal stories. Together we read:


Stellaluna by Janell Cannon. I love this story. It's a great fictional bat story that can jumpstart inquiries about real bats. We had a great discussion about bats and the bats that live in East Tennessee.  Even the moms had questions. WONDERFUL!


 The Frog With the Big Mouth by Teresa  Bateman. This is just a cute story about a little frog in the Amazon that can't keep bragging. I love the illustrations by Will Terry. They just make this book terrific. 

I finished story time with Three Hens and a Peacock by Dr. Lester Laminack. My kids laughed themselves silly. Of course it didn't hurt that I was being goofy when we were reading this one. Being me, I pulled out a peacock feather and we took turns trying to strutting around the library. If you don't have this one, get it. It's a wonderful story about everyone's own importance.

The kids all took home a bookmark to color. (Next week I'll laminate them. Can't get crayon in the books!) I used Cari Young's Summer Reading bookmarks and  Printable Bookmarks by Chrissy Beltran  - both were free on TPT!


Next week it's Country Time in the library. Now I just have to come up with something fun and crafty for them to do. To Pinterest I go!

2 comments:

  1. Love Stellaluna!! The other two books look great too. Do you get a lot of students to come in during the summer? I think that is great that you open the library for them!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This past week I only had 6. I guess that's not bad since the total enrollment at my school is around 210. Last summer I averaged 12 students a week. Hopefully it will be better this week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...