Image Map

Monday, September 2, 2013

#IMWAYR for September 2

Now that September is here, hopefully things will slow down at school and I can get more reading done! I think I have everything fixed that I'm aware of being broken/not working... We'll see how long that lasts. Being the technology coach has it's ups and downs. On to my "It's Monday! What are You Reading?" hosted by Teach Mentor Text.


This past week I got 2 books finished. I know. Pathetic.

1)  The Eyes of Want (book three of the Leven Thumps series) by Obert Skye

 
If your middle school students enjoy fantasy, this is another one to add to the collection. It's not the best written of the fantasy books I've read this summer, but's it's engaging. The middle/upper school kids are already driving me nuts about it. They saw it on my desk.....

In this book Leven travels into the realm of Foo to protect a secret that could destroy an entire race of creatures and ultimately all of Reality. I'll give it 3 1/2 stars. I'll probably read the next one just to see what happens next.

2) Otis Dooda: Strange but True by Ellen Potter


This is an odd book. I'll give this one 3 stars. The 2 - 4 grader boys will enjoy this one. It's full of lame boy humor. Otis moves to New York City and strange things happen. For example, on the first day Otis is cursed by potted plant boy. This was the book I was teasing the third and fourth graders with earlier. I didn't read very much out loud. (Definitely not the part about "whizzing off the porch". Even though I have students who would totally relate. It's a living in the country kind of thing. Well, maybe a little boy thing!)

I'm currently reading Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck



Hopefully, I can get this one ready quickly. A couple of the upper grade girls read it last spring. This is the first book in the trilogy. Hmmmmm I'm so ready for a "not to be continued" book. Maybe I'll search the stacks for some picture books I've not read.

Keep Reading! I will...

5 comments:

  1. Hi there Sara. Leven Thumps has an interesting book cover. Otis Dooda also looks cute. Thanks for sharing all these and your candid thoughts about the books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. Leven Thumps- I dragged myself through 1 and 2... Shall be curious to know what you think about Tigers Curse. Otis Dooda sounded cute, really love Ellen Potter's quirky situations she creates...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished it! I'll post next Monday. I just logged onto my Titlewave account and put the next one in my cart!

      Delete
  3. Leven Thumps. You're right ... it's a decent enough fantasy but not the best. On the flip side he is one of the most engaging presenters I have ever seen. Like he was more interesting to just listen to than Rick Riordan (whose books are much better). Now I need to find the notes I took cause he had a great 4 step plan for achieving goals. And I can't remember what they were. #memorysthefirsttogo
    It is a delicate balance, right? We come to love characters and so don't want the book to end. But seriously, it grows tiresome always having to wait for a new title. That things don't get "wrapped up" in one book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to decide it I want to read the next one next or pick up something else. Red Pyramid was returned Thursday. I usually can't keep it in long enough to read. Kids come first!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...