Image Map

Monday, July 22, 2013

Finished reading? I don't think so!

As my summer vacation comes to a close, (I officially report back August 1st) I should be close to finishing my summer reading. I have read far above my personal goal, but I'm not ready to quit. I really don't think I ever will finish reading everything I want to read. Does anybody who loves books? 

This past week I read an usual assortment of books. It felt like I read a little bit of everything. As a kindergarten - eight grade librarian, I need to read all kinds of books. This week I started with a couple fiction books for the middle to upper grades.

The Red House and The Ghost Road by Tony Abbott. (These are books 3 and 4 of his series "The Haunting of Derek Stone")



This series is a bit unusual. Unless you think being chased by the undead is normal. Of course part of Derek's family are members of the undead. Your students who like horror and historical fiction will appreciate this series. They're scary enough to keep 4th and 5th graders on the edge of their seats without being graphic.  This series will be fine for 4th and up.  AR Reading Level of  3.7 - 4.0

Are you a snail? by Judy Allen and Tudor Humphries



Loved this one! It's a great little non-fiction picture book about snails. Full of information and the illustrations are wonderful. This one's perfect for K-2. AR Reading Level of 2.8

Suddenly! by Colin McNaughton



If you haven't seen this one, you're missing a good one. Big Bad Wolf is following Little Pig but things keep preventing BB from getting LP! It's great for cause and effect. AR Reading Level 2.2

In grades Kindergarten - Fifth we're getting a new reading series. The books and support materials have been arriving all summer. When the Kindergarten materials arrived sometime in the last couple weeks, one pack of books was partially open. (I would know this because they're being stored in a corner of the library!) I couldn't stand it. I peaked at the titles and found a few picture books I hadn't read. Of course I did what any normal, nosey librarian would do.... sat down and read them!

Snow by Manya Stojic
Turtle Splash! Countdown at the Pond by Cathryn Falwell
Sheep Take a Hike by Nancy Shaw
One of Three by Angela Johnson
Pie in the Sky by Lois Ehlert
Chameleon, Chameleon by Joy Cowley

If you teach Kindergarten or First grade, these are good titles to add to your collection. Totally enjoyed my snooping expedition. (Really my Kinder teachers will laugh. They know I can't help myself when books are around.)

Also read:
Bunnicula and Friends: Scared Silly by James Howe, illustrated by Jeff Mack
Scaredy Squirrel at the beach by Melanie Watt
Nothing But Trouble adapted by John Green (a Phineas and Ferb adventure!)
There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves! by Lucille Colandro
There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed A Bell! by Lucille Colandro
There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books! by Lucille Colandro
There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Shell! by Lucille Colandro
There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Trout! by Teri Sloat

I'm off to Common Core training for the next three days... If you don't hear from me assume the worst... Na just kidding!!! It's really because my brain is fried from information overload!

Happy Reading!


2 comments:

  1. Do you use shelfari? It gives you an option to place/rate all the books you read & keep a page count. It is really interesting to see exactly how many pages you read over a period of time. I love it & I get so many ideas of great books to read, and which ones to avoid.

    Melissa

    az6thgradeteacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...