Image Map

Monday, July 21, 2014

#IMWAYR July 21st

Once again it's time for "It's Monday - What are You Reading?" Check out other reads with Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Rickie & Kellie at Unleashing Readers.

This past week I caught up on some newer picture books. I love going by Barnes and Noble or any other bookstore and preview picture books. I did find a few I want for the library. Found a couple I'm not purchasing.... WARNING!!! There are several. I was waiting out a rain shower/storm.

Hits:


Duck and Goose Go to the Beach by Tad Hill I love Duck and Goose. If you haven't read any of Tad Hill's books you are missing out. They are perfect for the little guys. In this one Goose follows Duck on an adventure to the beach. Once at the beach Goose has to convince Duck to enjoy the adventure. 5 Stars

Pardon Me! by Dianel Miyares What happens when a little bird keeps complaining while others share his perch? Would be cute to pair up with Little Big Mouth Frog.

Don't Push the Button by Bill Cotter Would be a great read aloud! You know the kids are going to want to push the button...

No Dogs Allowed! by Linda Ashman and Kristin Sorra Cute nearly wordless picture book about the opening of Alberto's restaurant.

Ninja! by Arree Chung  Cute Cute Cute  I could see several of my students acting out this story. Even my teenagers boys wanted to be ninjas when they were little.

Pigs Make Me Sneeze by Mo Willems  Gerald starts to sneeze whenever Piggie is near. He's convinced he's allergic to Piggie. I just adore Mo Willems.

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William Joyce Follows Morris's life jouney of loving books. Somehow I missed the short film.

This is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen Another great hat story. Great illustrations.

This is a Moose by Richard T Morris and Tom Lichtenheld   The director gets upset when Moose doesn't act Moose-like.

Mama Built a Little Nest by Jennifer Ward and Steve Jenkins I'm going to have to get this one for my science collection. Loved looking/reading about the different birds' nests. With Steve Jenkins it's usually a hit.

Bad Bye, Good Bye by Deborah Underwood Story of a little boy who is sad about moving but realizes the new house is better.

Part-time Princess by Deborah Underwood When the little girl sleeps at night, she dreams about being a princess and all kinds of adventures. Cute. I've got to get this one for my girls who want another princess story.

Hooray for Hat! by Brian Won Liked this one slightly better than This is Not My Hat. The elephant finds a hat and discovers he can cheer up his friends by sharing.

Neutrals: (Didn't dislike them, just wasn't moved by them....The kids will enjoy them.)


Hopper and Wilson Fetch a Star by Maria van Lieshout
Dog vs. Cat by Chris Gall  The two pets compete for top spot.
The Dark by Lemony Snicket Laszlo must overcome his fear of the dark.

The Girl Who Wouldn't Brush Her Hair by Kate Bernheimer When the little girl refuses to brush her hair a mouse moves in.... I was grossed out right there. Hate Strongly dislike rodents. The kids would enjoy this one. Great for teaching the importance of good hygiene.

Mustache Baby by Bridget Heos Cute just not my favorite. Maybe it will grow on me....The book not a mustache.

Misses:


What does the Fox Say? by Ylvis, Christian Lochster, and Sevin Nyhus
It was better as YouTube video... Unless you're a huge fan, save your money and get a great book instead.

As you can see, I found several to add to the library's wishlist. If only BTSB had a buy one get one free...Hopefully I'll have a great fall book fair.

Keep Reading! Have to finish Champion by Marie Lu...


7 comments:

  1. You can't have everything; where would you put it? That is so true of books for school libraries! Even if I had the money to buy every book, I would quickly run out of shelf room. I feel bad when I am not wild about a book, but its actually a good thing when looked at practically!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ninja looks adorable. I have to get hold of it my at library!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got Pardon Me from the library last week but haven't read it yet. I need to get to it today! :)

    I need to check out Don't Push the Button and No Dogs Allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun picture books you have here. I often go the B&N to look at new books I've heard about, then I put them on hold at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sara, I had to pop over and see what you were up to. The books that I know on your good list are ones I find good, too, so I'm betting I like all the rest. More books, more books, can't have too many books. Your first four are the first on my list. And I'll share with my friend and school librarian, too. Thanks for post.
    Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of winners! "This is Not My Hat" was the hands down favorite of my students last year. I think they appreciated a subversive story. Will definitely check out the Ninja book, as it sounds like a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there Sara! So many familiar titles here, and several that we've already featured in GatheringBooks. The book cover of No Dogs Allowed however, really caught my eye. Looks like a delightful read.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...