Image Map

Monday, December 9, 2013

#IMWAYR for December 9

It's time for my "It's Monday! What are you reading?"  It's great to see what others are reading and get great ideas for my library. Link up with Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers to see what everyone else has been reading! Life happened and I didn't blog last week. The following is what I read over the last 2 weeks.

I finally finished Red Pyramid by Rich Riordan. LOVED it! This one definitely ranks 5 stars. I totally understand why my Riordan books stay checked out. If you missed reading the Kane Chronicles, Red Pyramid is the first of the series. The Kane children discover their ties to ancient Egypt and must deal with the gods/goddesses from Egyptian mythology. I'm going to try to read Throne of Fire assuming the students don't beat me to it!

Over Thanksgiving break I read The Calder Game by Blue Balliett,  illustrated by Brett Helquist. Not a bad little mystery. Students may learn a little art history while reading this one. Great for your puzzle and mystery readers.

Picked up a few Mo Willems books I needed for the library. LOVE THEM! I'm personaly convinced the man is a genius! If you don't have the following titles, get them for your K-2 students. They all ranked 5 stars!

The 3 Little Dassies by Jan Brett. This one is great to go with your Three Little Pigs stories. I love Jan Brett! 5 Stars!

Sneeze, Big Bear, Sneeze! by Maureen Wright, illustrated by Will Hillenbrand
Great story to add to my fall collection of read alounds. Big Bear thinks he is causing all kinds of things to happen by sneezing, but it's really the autumn wind. Cute story. 


Found Fox Tails: Four Fables from Aesop by Amy Lowry. This one will be great for my lower grade teachers teaching fables. Common Core really emphasizes  fables with 2nd grade. A much needed read for my fable collection. Beautifully done. 


Otis and the Tornado by Loren Long. I fell in love with Otis this summer. Can't wait to read this one to the Kindergartners. Will be a great story to read during Severe Weather week in the spring. 5 stars for this one.

Last but not least I read Babymouse: Dragonslayer by Jennifer Holm and Matthew Holm. I'm not a huge fan of graphic novels. BUT I get them for my students who love them. They will enjoy this one much more than I did. 

Keep Reading!



4 comments:

  1. We are big fans of Mo Willems here! And my son loves all of Rick Riordan's books. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a hit or miss for me with Rick Riordan - but I could totally understand why even the reluctant readers love the series - so plot-driven! Perhaps I'd revisit some of his books in 2014. :) My 11 year old daughter LOVES the babymouse graphic novels! Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i need to read Rick Riordan too.. my son devours the books and I read just the first series..
    and Mo Willems ! yes..
    here is mine http://myrandrspace.blogspot.com/2013/12/magic-monday-misplaced-words-missing.html
    love your blog and will be back to visit..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just now attempting to get caught up. Moving. I'm a big stick in the mud because it has thrown me completely off my game. Anyway. I loved The Red Pyramid. Own every one of his books since the week they came out ... but am so far behind on actually reading them. How silly is that. Anyway. Hope you've had some good reading this week and get some more this weekend.
    MO WILLEMS IS A GENIUS. Completely agree. I quite like Blue Balliet as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...